Here are some pictures of the finished item. I apologize for the low quality of the photos, but I haven't figured out how to take pictures of LEDs. I hope you kind of get the idea.
I used a ruffled fabric that I scored at Hobby Lobby.
The way it works, embedded in the scarf, is a little computer, called a Flora, and a color sensor. Here is a picture. The computer is on the left and it is about two inches across. As you can see the color sensor, on the right, is about one-third that size.
Finally, here I am sewing the scarf together using Peg's antique Singer sewing machine. I must mention here that Peg gave me an enormous amount of guidance as I went through this project and it came out very much the better for her help.