Monday, September 15, 2014

Basket Bench

These projects have a lot of hidden costs.

Peg thought we needed a headboard for our bed down here in Florida. She opined that I could probably whip something up in not too much time for not too much money. We haven't decided whether to buy a king size bed (I'm not sure you realize how much mattresses cost) or stick with the queen size, so while we're wrestling over that I made a bench for the foot of the bed that would work for either size.

 I made the bench from cherry. Here is the top with mortise and tenon joints, and biscuits for the mitered corners, and here it is assembled.

This is the body of the bench where I used half-lap joints.
I used pre-woven caning material for the seat sections of the top, the sides and the back.
 Here is the body assembled.
 These are all the parts, varnished and ready to put together.
 This is the completed top ...
 and the back with the caning installed.
All put together.
And in place. I'll give you an update on the headboard once we decide that mattress question.

No comments:

Post a Comment